The Long-Awaited EnergyWeek Gained a Record Audience
Last week, EnergyWeek 2022 brought together a record number of visitors to seminars and exhibitions. EnergyWeek was welcomed with great interest as the event week was organised for the first time since 2019.
– EnergyWeek was more extensive this year, lasting for the whole week and having more visitors than ever before. I don’t think there was a vacant hotel room left in the city. And, for the first time, we even had some of the seminars streamed to the public. I was pleased to see that the spirit and feeling you have during EnergyWeek has not changed or faded. During the week, you could see a lot of happy people networking with each other. This has always been the reason people come to EnergyWeek, says Kristoffer Jansson, EnergyVaasa’s Communications & Brand Manager.
– EnergyWeek is a genuine display of cooperation. I’m truly impressed with the dedication of the region’s organisations and our partners in creating this shared event, Jansson continues.
New Theme Grew the Event
- Over 6,200 event participants from over 30 different countries (in 2019: 4,600 visitors from 25 countries)
- During the week, participants had an opportunity to listen to a total of 154 speakers at 31 different events or seminars (2019: 90 speakers in 21 events)
- The event had approximately 250 exhibitors (2019: approx. 190)
The objective of EnergyWeek is to bring together experts from the field and offer them new contacts, networks and potential partners. This year’s themes were energy and environment, wind and renewable energy, smart energy, gas energy, and energy storage as a new theme. The topics of the energy storage day were, among others, battery technologies and establishments, hydrogen, gas, synthetic fuels and heat.
– What makes EnergyWeek a special event is the fact that there is a specific theme for each day and also different exhibitors. The exhibition area is rebuilt every night for the next day’s theme, ready for new companies to present their work. Each day’s seminars are also closely linked to the day’s theme, says Jansson.
The Oscars of energy technology were once again awarded at the Energy & Innovation Awards competition.
- For more information, please read the press release: https://www.energyweek.fi/energyweek-energyvaasatalks/
The Event Will Be Even Better Next Year
– Every year, we strive to create an even better event than the previous one. Now after the event is over, we collect all the feedback received from the audience, the organisers and the exhibitors. After taking a breather, we start planning the next year’s event, Jansson explains.
- Vaasa EnergyWeek is a five-day event week for the energy sector organised collaboratively by around thirty organisations. EnergyVaasa and Vaasa Region Development Company VASEK are the main coordinators of the event
- The next EnergyWeek will be held between 20.–24.3.2023
The Energy and Innovation Awards were presented on 23 March. Since EnergyWeek 2020 was cancelled at the last minute due to COVID-19, the winners of 2020, who missed the awards ceremony then, were also awarded this year alongside this year’s winners.
The Jury’s Choice
The Jury includes: Anna-Kaisa Valkama, Program Director, Technology Centre Merinova, Marko J Koski, EnergySpin Operations & Partnerships, Kristoffer Jansson, EnergyVaasa Communications & Brand Manager.
Winner of 2022
Hitachi Energy Finland Oy, One of Europe’s largest battery energy storage systems for TVO in Finland for balancing the grid and contributing for Finland’s goals of carbon neutrality 2035
Hitachi Energy’s 90-megawatt battery energy storage system supports the stability of Finland’s energy network and will help the country meet its climate goals.
Battery energy storage system supports the entire grid, in a potential production disturbance in the Olkiluoto 3 plant unit, thus minimizing the effect of power fluctuations on the grid. The turnkey solution acts as a fast-start backup power source.
A battery energy storage of this scale and the increase in low emission electricity generation is a major climate action and will contribute to Finland’s goal of carbon neutrality in 2035.
- Read more about all the finalists: https://www.energyweek.fi/energy-innovation-awards-2022/
Winner of 2020
Instagrid, portable battery power supply for professional applications
Instagrid has developed the world’s most advanced portable power pack to replace highly polluting petrol and diesel generators. Instagrid products offer simple, flexible and emission-free access to electric power for professionals on the move.
In many industries, professional workers are dependent on a reliable and simple power supply. Instagrid’s robust solution far exceeds the technical specifications and capabilities of what is available on the market today. The company offers grid-like power delivered from a portable source, with solutions for the construction industry, event organisers, gardeners, fire brigades, disaster recovery and humanitarian organisations.
- Read more about all the finalists: https://www.energyweek.fi/energyweekawards2020/
The People’s Choice
People’s Choice 2022
phelas GmbH, Scalable, cheap and sustainable energy storage enabling 100 % renewable future
Cheap long duration energy storage, such as phelas Aurora, is able to replace fossil fuels together with renewables in a cost competitive, scalable and sustainable manner by providing renewable baseload power.
phelas addresses the resource criticality and environmental impact of existing storage technologies by using abundant and recyclable resources. According to Climate Impact forecast 350 t Co2 eq can be saved per 8 MWh phelas system.
The Aurora system is a new approach to liquid air energy storage (LAES). It uses both pressure and cryogenic temperatures and the enthalpy inherent in the phase transition to store energy.
People’s Choice 2020
ABB Oy Smart Power
ABB Oy brought DC switching to a whole new level with their OTDC ”Sunday” range. Not only improving the operational voltage from 1000Vdc to 1500Vdc but also minimizing the footprint and improving the arc extinguishing behavior for DC switching.
Through optimized design, raw material savings for the production of the switch, compared to its predecessor and competitor products are realized. Also savings in system components are achieved by using OTDC ”Sunday”. Stepping up the operating voltage to 1500Vdc allows the usage of smaller cables and conduits which decreases the amount of materials applied, and so costs by up to 40% for system manufacturers.
By lowering the amount of resources used, this product is directly contributing to sustainability and making energy distribution greener.
EnergySpin Recognition of Excellence
EnergySpin has attracted applications from all over world for multicorporate energytech program. Each year from hundreds of talented startups around dozen has been selected. Total 48 excellent startups have been through the program. We have try to select the one which meets the following criteria:
- clarify or pivot the business model
- attract capital
- expand to new customers and markets
The decision was definitely not easy, many of the EnergySpin participants are on the track to sustainable business. The first ever Recognition of Excellence goes to Valaa Technologies. They have pivoted and focused from a new more general operating system VaIOS to focusing on serving more industry specific needs in legacy industry proving new and easy to implement solution to smart buildings.
- Read more about EnergySpin Business Accelerator https://energyspin.fi/
For more information, please contact:
EnergyVaasa Communications & Brand Manager, Vaasa Region Development Company
+358 40 539 4055
Press release 15th March 2022
EnergyWeek expected to be as busy as before the pandemic
EnergyWeek, the top energy event, taking place next week from the 21st to the 25th of March at Vaasa City Hall, only opened its registration on the 4th of February, but enrolment has got off to a great start – despite the exceptional global situation. Once again, thousands of participants from dozens of countries are expected to attend. Exhibitor stands for all four days of the event are almost fully booked.
During the five-day event, top energy professionals will be presented with the most fascinating new cases and innovations and will have the opportunity to hear the latest news from the energy sector. EnergyWeek is the most important networking and sales event in the Nordic countries for local, national and international visitors.
“EnergyWeek was last held in 2019 and featured 21 different events or seminars. This year, EnergyWeek has been extended by one day and will offer a total of 30 different events. There will also be many international companies exhibiting their solutions and innovations, and the seminars will feature several international speakers. It’s well worth checking out the programme and registering in advance,” says EnergyVaasa’s Communications & Brand Manager Kristoffer Jansson.
“Of course, safety is an aspect we will be paying particular attention to. We strongly recommend wearing a mask, plus there will be plenty of hand sanitiser available. If a participant has even minor symptoms, we must ask them to please stay at home,” Jansson continues.
New themes every day
EnergyWeek 2022 will focus on five different themes, one for each day: energy and the environment, wind and renewable energy, smart energy solutions, gas, and the new theme of energy storage, which will include presentations about battery technologies and companies belonging to the battery value chain looking to establish themselves in the region, as well as hydrogen, synthetic fuels, heat and other topics related to energy storage.
The programme also includes events on topics such as the circular economy, smart cities of the future, space technology and electric aircraft. Match Making sessions will take place from Wednesday to Friday. The exhibition events are open on four days, each day with a different theme. There will be different exhibitors presenting their solutions, depending on the theme of the day.
EnergyWeek kicks off on Monday with the traditional Energy and Environment Seminar, which, unlike the rest of the week, is an influencer seminar in Finnish. The seminar’s theme this year is the green transition and electrification. The second part of the seminar will focus on the Nordic battery belt and will include a panel discussion at the end of the event.
You can get a head start on EnergyWeek at the Green Car event in the Vaasa marketplace on Saturday the 19th of March from 11:00 to 15:00. This event will be held in Finnish.
“Climate issues, electrification and energy storage will almost certainly be a hotter topic than ever this year, although energy efficiency and sustainability have always been the common thread that runs through EnergyWeek,” says Jansson.
The Energy and Innovation Awards will be presented on Wednesday. Since EnergyWeek 2020 was cancelled at the last minute due to COVID-19, the winners of 2020, who missed the awards ceremony then, will be awarded this year alongside this year’s winners.
• See the full EnergyWeek 2022 programme https://www.energyweek.fi/
• Vaasa EnergyWeek is a five-day event organised collaboratively by about twenty organisations. EnergyVaasa and Vaasa Region Development Company VASEK are the main coordinators of the event.
• Except for the Energy and Environment Seminar on Monday and the Green Car event on Saturday, EnergyWeek will be held in English.
• EnergyVaasa is the largest energy technology hub in the Nordic countries and includes companies that develop sustainable, energy-saving technological solutions that reduce emissions. EnergyVaasa includes more than 160 companies with more than 12,000 employees in total.
For more information, please contact:
EnergyVaasa Communications & Brand Manager, Vaasa Region Development Company
+358 40 539 4055
EnergyWeek will be organized as planned. Registration will open early February
Having a safe event is our number one priority, and we will therefore require all visitors to show a “EU Digital COVID Certificate” or similar CovidPass.
We are constantly monitoring the recommendations from the authorities and we will add the all required elements in order to have a safe event.
EnergyWeek järjestetään suunnitelmien mukaan ja rekisteröinti avataan helmikuun alussa 2022. Otamme koronapassin käyttöön Vuoden 2022 tapahtumassa. Koronapassi mahdollistaa tapahtuman järjestämisen turvallisesti.
Ihmisten terveys ja turvallisuus ovat meille EnergyWeekin järjestäjille ensisijalla. Me seuraamme jatkuvasti tilanteen kehittymistä ja reagoimme nopeasti viranomaisten suosituksiin ja ohjeisiin.
EnergyWeek kommer att ordnas enligt plan och registreringen öppnas i början av februari 2022. Att kunna ordna ett tryggt evenemang är vår högsta prioritet, därför kommer vi att förutsätta att alla deltagare uppvisar Coronapass eller motsvarande intyg.
Vi följer konstant med myndigheternas rekommendationer och vidtar nödvändiga åtgärder för att vi skall kunna genomföra ett tryggt evenemang.
Press release 12.10.2021
Next EnergyWeek Organized in March 2022 – Event Week of the Energy Sector Returns on an Even Larger Scale
The most significant international networking and sales event for the energy sector in the Nordic countries, EnergyWeek, will be organized between March 21–25, 2022. This time, it will be a five-day event instead of the four days of previous years. Registration to the event will open at the beginning of 2022, and there are already nearly 200 confirmed exhibitors. As with past EnergyWeek events, thousands of visitors and speakers from over 20 countries are expected to attend the event. The location for the event is the Vaasa city hall.
The event has five themes, one for each day: energy and environment, wind and renewable energy, smart energy, gas, and energy storage as a new theme. The topics of the energy storage day are, among others, battery technologies and establishments, hydrogen, gas, synthetic fuels and heat and other topics related to energy storage. The exhibitors change according to the day’s theme. All EnergyWeek seminars will be organized in English, and some of them will also be streamed online.
– In the previous years, we have had over 4 600 EnergyWeek visitors, and we have organized over 25 seminars in the event. These seminars have had approximately 110 speakers in four days. Now, when it is a 5-day event in question, everything points to the fact that it will be even bigger, notes EnergyVaasa’s Communications & Brand Manager Kristoffer Jansson from VASEK.
In 2021, EnergyWeek would have celebrated its 10th anniversary, but this milestone will be celebrated during the next EnergyWeek in March 2022. EnergyWeek’s 10th anniversary will be the theme of the three evening events, and an energy technology and innovation prize will be given out in the traditional Energy Awards ceremony.
The organizers of the EnergyWeek have arranged a series of EnergyVaasa Talks webinars throughout 2021. The webinars cover energy and cleantech technology-related topics presented by international experts. The webinars are open to everyone. The webinars that have already been organized can be viewed on the EnergyVaasa YouTube channel.
Vaasa EnergyWeek is one of the foremost events in the energy sector. The event is organized as a collaboration by over thirty organizations. EnergyVaasa / Vaasa Region Development Company VASEK has the main responsibility for coordinating the event.
EnergyVaasa is the largest energy technology cluster in the Nordic countries. The companies in the EnergyVaasa cluster develop sustainable and energy-saving technology solutions that reduce emissions. There are over 160 companies with over 12,000 employees in the EnergyVaasa cluster. Vaasa Region Development Company VASEK is a regional business and development company owned by the municipalities in the Vaasa region.
Kristoffer Jansson, EnergyVaasa’s Communications & Brand Manager
email@example.com , +358 40 539 4055